On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 03:45 -0400, W. Jacobs wrote:
> I do not know much about CNC operation but need to ask a question about
> the operation similar to this gear cutting.
>
> Machinery's handbook (20th) describes how to construct an involute on
> page 288.  I read this as the involute is the length of a line tangent
> to the circle, equal to the cord of the circle part.
>
> Why do we not just calculate this in a spread sheet and plug it into G code?

This would be handy, but having a way to automated the g-code would be
good. The more g-code way-points you can create the smoother the curves
will be. But getting enough by hand would be difficult.

> R = radius of gear
> angle goes from 0 to 90 degrees
> Angle /rad is angle in radians
... snip
>     1.18    0.73    1177.92    729.55
> 90                    1.57    0           0.75    1.18
>       1.18    0.75    1178.1    750
>
> This seems so simple to me.  I know that I need to adjust for cutter
> size and also for root, pitch and outside diameter of the gear.  And, I
> have not run a formal analyze of my math.  What am I missing?

The more I learn about gears the more I don't know. It seems that some
people have built careers on studying gear shapes.

>  I may have to turn the spread sheet into a text doc and then add the "x
> mil" and "y mil" column's to a G0 column but that seems trivial to me.
> As I say, What am I missing?

Fortunately, I found that my CAD/CAM (Synergy) software has a gear
utility that makes the creation of gear forms and tool paths fairly
easy.

> Thanks,  My problem is I can't get the computer to wiggle the parallel
> port.  I'm working on it, and I will get it sometime.
> bill Jacobs

If you want to share your machine configuration and problem symptoms,
someone here may be able to help.

For the interested student, here are some links I have collected so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involute
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Involute.html
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/gear/gear1.html
http://www.engineersedge.com/gear_pitch_chart.htm