On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 20:29 +0100, Dave Caroline wrote:
> Idea is ok but Dremel stuff is in no way suitable for the scales that
> Ian Wright or us need when cutting watch pinion sizes.

I just used the Dremel term to describe a type of abrasive disk, because
most people are familiar with Dremel tools. I believe that appropriate
abrasive disks should be available. Maybe a steel or carbide disk with
diamond coating.

>  The positional
> accuracy needed to get a good form to the result is also a problem.
> Involute form is easy as a hobbing action and generation is possible
> but not for cycloidal form.

It's too bad that hobbing is not an option for most people. It would be
nice to have a hob machine, but it's hard to justify if you don't make
gears every day. (Which came first, the gear hob machine or the gears to
make the gear hob machine?)