On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 13:17 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> Ian W. Wright wrote:
>
> > One of the main reasons I want to try to generate gears and,
> > particularly, pinions is the great problem I have in trying to make
> > working pinion cutters small enough for the watches I work on.
> It just seems to me that if you have a CNC machine of any type,
> you should be able to cut a master tool for the form required.
> Then, that tool could cut the gear teeth directly, and reduce a
> 5 hour job to 15 minutes!  Even if you only have a mill, you can
> mount a disc on the spindle and a lathe-type tool in the vise,
> and make a gear cutter by laboriously following the tooth profile.
> Then, you could cut radial slots to form the cutting teeth,
> harden it, and you'd have a pretty professional gear cutter for
> any tooth profile you need.
>
> Jon

A full gear tooth profile cutter is only accurate for the particular
involute gear you are cutting. If you change any parameter, you have a
different profile. It's worse with cycloidal gears because the mating
profile is different, even when all parameters match (or so I have read
so far). The problem is that gear cutting seems to be like house
painting, 80% of the work is in preparing the surface and the rest is
painting, and preping one house doesn't make the next one any easier.

It would be nice to have a system where it takes 10 or 20% of the
project effort to make the tool, or 50%, and have a tool left over to
use on the next project. The more I think about using face mill inserts
and a CNC four axis surface grinder, the more I think you could have it
both ways. It would be almost as easy to make a full tooth form cutter
as it would be for a semi-generic cutter. It seems to depend on where
you prefer to develop the g-code.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,