I had couple direct emails with Phil. He wasn't willing to provide
more details then on his web site. SDS accepts control signals over
parallel port and seems to use Xylotex like mapping of pins. Phil
said it would worm fine with EMC, but I have no idea how easy or
difficult would it be to configure. Is there also signal shape
configuration per CNC control system ? What I mean is will I have
to configure duration and value of fronts/peaks for signals coming
to SDS ? Any idea ?

I'm very new to CNC. Have some experience with machining. At the moment
I only have Sherline 4000 manual lathe. Sherline factory CNC systems
support only manual control over spindle speed. I was set to follow
along the same line. Control from CNC system over spindle speed would
be a great extra thing to have. But I have no idea how to implement it.
I plan to get CNC conversion kits for my lathe and future mill and then
hook them up to Xylotex or Ohmikron CNC driver. 4 axles are planned.

Have to learn a lot of new things, terms and embrace a lot of new
ideas and information.

PS: Was there a thread dedicated to pros and cons of different CNC
drivers for Sherline mills and lathes overs here ? If there was one
I would really appreciate a pointer to it.