On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:44 -0400, Sergey Izvoztchikov wrote:
> I had couple direct emails with Phil. He wasn't willing to provide
> more details then on his web site. SDS accepts control signals over
> parallel port and seems to use Xylotex like mapping of pins. Phil
> said it would worm fine with EMC, but I have no idea how easy or
> difficult would it be to configure.

I didn't see much documentation on the website. If the SDS has a Xylotex
pin out, EMC has a Xylotex sample configuration you can can use as a
starting point. Basically you will need to set the timing parameters and
connect port pins. This is done in at least two text files that you can
edit with a common text editor. For instance:

net Xstep stepgen.0.step parport.0.pin-03-out

connects the step signal to the first parallel port pin 3. This gives
you the power to configure your system any way you want, even if it's
the wrong way, but that's usually how I learn.

> Is there also signal shape
> configuration per CNC control system ? What I mean is will I have
> to configure duration and value of fronts/peaks for signals coming
> to SDS ? Any idea ?

I haven't worked with this type of stepper system so I don't know for
sure, but EMC has a program call Stepconf:

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//config_stepconf.html

>From what I have heard, the program output is only as good as the input.
It is important to get accurate timing parameters from the manufacturer
to plug into the program. Or Stepconf can make it easier to "cut and
try".

> I'm very new to CNC. Have some experience with machining. At the moment
> I only have Sherline 4000 manual lathe.

Personally, if you haven't invested in hardware yet, I think you should
consider going to a brushed DC servo system. In the long run, I think
you will learn more and have a better machine at a similar cost. In my
opinion, you can ease into CNC conversions with a servo system by
fitting encoders and use EMC as a DRO. When you get that sorted out,
then add spindle speed control, or servo motors, mist or other options
one at a time. There is less waste this way because each subsystem can
be used in the final system. You can use the parallel port PWM and wire
up a basic drive to get started and then move to a PWM controller and
higher power drives later if you need more speed.

>  Sherline factory CNC systems
> support only manual control over spindle speed. I was set to follow
> along the same line. Control from CNC system over spindle speed would
> be a great extra thing to have. But I have no idea how to implement it.

Chris Radek has a Sherline that uses a KBIC style spindle controller:

http://timeguy.com/cradek/cnc/lathe

The KBIC controllers can be found on eBay at really good prices if you
are patient.

> I plan to get CNC conversion kits for my lathe and future mill and then
> hook them up to Xylotex or Ohmikron CNC driver. 4 axles are planned.
>
> Have to learn a lot of new things, terms and embrace a lot of new
> ideas and information.
>
> PS: Was there a thread dedicated to pros and cons of different CNC
> drivers for Sherline mills and lathes overs here ? If there was one
> I would really appreciate a pointer to it.

I don't know of any pro/con links. Your best bet is to watch the list
for responses. Allot of the active EMC people are at the CNC fest right
now, next week may be a better time to ask.

I have just started using the IRC to get live help:

http://www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_mospjirc/Itemid,8/lang,en/
http://freenode.net/using_the_network.shtml

This has worked well for me.

FWIW, my website covers some of the above issues here:

Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,
Bridgeport mill conversion, doing XY now,
Zubal lathe conversion pending
Craftsman AA 109 restoration
Shizuoka ST-N/EMC CNC)