>> setp encoder.0.counter-mode true
>> setp encoder.0.x4-mode false
>
> Does your encoder have quadrature (two 50 ppr channels)?  This mode only
> uses one, and gives you 50 counts per rev, using quadrature can give you
> 200 counts per rev, which should be smoother.

The encoder is a single channel and will give only 50ppr.

>> net spindle-index-enable motion.spindle-index-enable <=>
>> encoder.0.index-enable
>> net spindle-pos encoder.0.position => motion.spindle-revs
>
> This signal is in revolutions, and is used for G33 (threading) as well
> as for the G76 threading canned cycle, and rigid tapping.
>
>> net spindle-velocity <= encoder.0.velocity => motion.spindle-speed-in
>
> This signal is in revs per second, and is used for G95 (feed per
> revolution).  It is NOT used for threading.
>

> Regarding the "runs full speed" at higher pitches - you need to do the
> math to make sure you aren't asking the impossible.  For example, if
> your spindle speed is 1000 RPM, and you command a pitch if 0.2mm, the Z
> axis will have to move at 1000 X 0.2 = 200mm/minute to cut that thread.
>  If your Z axis can't do that, it will go as fast as it can, and
> changing the pitch to a higher value like 0.3 won't make it go any faster.
>
> What are the velocity and accel limits for your Z axis?  What spindle
> speed are you using for the test?

For the Z, velocity is 4 (guess 4mm/sec) and accelleration is 3.
I tested with a spindle speed of approx 120rpm. With the G33 Z10 K.2,
this would be 0.2 * 120/60 = 0.4 mm/sec if my calculation is correct
and I assume this should be no problem.