Just changed to the code below, but G33 keeps doing very strange.
Also, the motion.spindle-speed-in displays 4.3 instead of the approx
200 rpm the spindle is doing. Would I need to put a "scale" component
in to change from the rotations per second (encoder reading per second?)
to rotations per minute? Maybe this is what is causing the strange
moves.

setp encoder.0.counter-mode true
setp encoder.0.x4-mode false
setp encoder.0.position-scale 50
net spindle-phase-A <= parport.0.pin-11-in => encoder.0.phase-A
net spindle-phase-Z <= parport.0.pin-10-in => encoder.0.phase-Z
#net spindle-phase-A <= parport.0.pin-11-in => encoder.0.phase-A
encoder.0.phase-Z
net spindle-index-enable motion.spindle-index-enable <=>
encoder.0.index-enable
net spindle-pos encoder.0.position => motion.spindle-revs
net spindle-velocity <= encoder.0.velocity => motion.spindle-speed-in