Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 07:45 -0700, Dave Engvall wrote:
> ... snip
>> Thanks for the confirmation although that wasn't the news I wanted.
>> I would like to be able to emulate the X function in lstg which
>> outputs the number of encoder counts between
>> index pulses.
>>
>> Dave
> ... snip
>
> Just a shot in the dark, but what about connecting your encoder's index
> wire to both the STG and a generic digital input? You may need to create
> a component to take it from there. I don't know anything about lstg, so
> this may be a bad suggestion.
>
> Kirk

Keep in mind that one reason people use cards like the STG is that their
combination of speed and encoder resolution gives encoder pulses that
are too short to be reliably sampled by software.  If you bring an index
pulse into the PC and sample it with software, you might miss the pulse
unless you limit the speed.

That is one reason for the HOME_LATCH_VEL setting in the ini file.  You
can do most of your homing move at a high speed, then after you hit the
switch drop to a crawl for the final half-revolution or so to make sure
you don't miss the index.

Regards,

John Kasunich