I would use a digital pot, and a TDA2005 (10W x 2) or similar. All DC
coupled. You could use two devices to increase output.
 Used as simple, linear output, voltage amplifier, it will sink or source
power. Connect the motor to the speaker terminals. No caps!

One amp will be biased to mid-rail, and the other will swing gnd-Vcc
according to the pot value.

Depending on the digital pot , you could drive it with I2C, up/down or SPI.
Start off with a normal pot to play around with.

The output of the device is output protected. Use a good heatsink.

Regards
Roland