Dave Engvall wrote:

>[snip]
>
>If my memory serves me correctly then there might be an intermediate
>position.
>I think code exist by JMK to use an rotary encoder plus a linear scale.

Yes, we did this on Stuart's G&L servo machine.

>Could this be extended to separate the I from PD in steppers and use
>an encoder on I to drive final position.

Since steppers don't use PID, and would fail miserably if they did
(since PID generally increases requested effort when the motor starts to
lose position, which (a) is too late and (b) is the exact opposite of
what you want to do with a stepper), I don't think this would help much.

>Maybe I've been smoking the wrong stuff .... who knows.
>More caffeine certainly won't fix things. :-)

You never know :)

- Steve