Les,

         That's security by obscurity, and hasn't really worked well
for a good many years.  There are port scan and port mapping tools
out there that can read all the ports on your machine in a heartbeat,
and know which ones are open, which ones are closed, and what process
is behind each individual port.  Many processes running behind open
ports don't require the use of passwords - ie, http, NFS, et.

         Your best bet if you are going to keep a machine online is
to keep it up to date with patches, occasionally run an intrusion
detection tool (I run mine every 4 hours on my machines at work -
they aren't CNC machines though, so you'd probably want to run them
when the CNC software is not in use) and shut down any unnecessary
processes and services, especially network services, so that you
can't be hacked through those ports.  The intrusion detection
software is nice, because it can detect changes in individual files,
letting you know that somebody has gotten in and done something wonky.

Mark