From: Rafael Skodlar [mailto:ra...@linwin.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:28 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] How can I get emc to automatically run g-code
without an operator?

Eric H. Johnson wrote:
> Michael,
>
> The path is relative to the home folder of the account from which EMC
was
> run. Typically this should be:
>
> emc2/nc_files/<file name>
> or
> emc2/nc_files/examples/<file name>
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>

> Thanks for the quick response. I configured emcrsh and it is working
very
> well. I can do everything but open a file. No matter what I do the
file path
> I give is appended to "../../nc_files" and it is unclear where the
root of

Using ../../ as part of the path embedded in a program or a script is
_very bad_ practice in my experience. People unfamiliar with Unix have a
hard time to debug it when there is a problem. I've seen this elsewhere
and causes lots of frustration and numerous support calls.

Shell environment provides variable HOME which can be used for the
starting point for working directory. I use it in every bash or python
script. If it's not set, it can be added to .bashrc or system wide
configuration files.

Special variable set in .bashrc is used for applications sometimes but I
don't like that either because some apps don't tell you what it's
supposed to be or people don't know how to fix it. Solution to this is a
wrapper script with all the variables needed to start a working program.

--
Rafael

------
easily build your RIAs with Flex Builder, the Eclipse(TM)based
development