Andy,

There is a tutorial on building EMC for an SMP kernel here:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC_With_Custom_Kernel

Packages are here (which I assume you already found):
http://linuxcnc.org/experimental/hardy/smp/

If you just want to install the EMC smp packages, you only need to do
section 6.3 on. Don't miss the note about adding isolcpus=1 to the kernel
line of menu.lst.

Bear in mind these are experimental builds. I have found for best results
(NB: all based on my experience with the Atom 330 processor), do a fresh
install of Ubuntu or Xubuntu, but do not install any updates. Then install
the RTAI and EMC packages. Once EMC is running, then apply the updates.
Before the updates are applied you may have some difficulty connecting to
the network. Usually a couple of reboots will get it back, at least long
enough to apply the Linux update. Once the updates are applied, the
networking issues should go away.

Regards,
Eric

Really? I spent weeks trying to get Ubuntu + RTAI + EMC2 using both cores of
my Dual Xeon machine. In the end I decided to install from the LiveCD and
just not use the second processor.

Does the latest LiveCD support SMP? It is not a huge task for me to
reinstall from scratch after backing up the machine configs, the machine
isn't used for anyhthing else but EMC.

If it is anything more technical than a liveCD install then I probably can't
be bothered at this point.