Just thought I would let the list know the results of some experiments I
have done.

I am new to EMC and as such was looking for a machine to run everything
on, After looking around for a while I found that there were pre
compiled packages for SMP (multi processor machines).
I just happened to have an old Dual Xeon 3.06 floating around And so I
tried that, After some fiddling and fluffing (mostly do to my own
ineptitude) It was up and running and I was getting jitter figures of
about 3000 or so with the vesa drivers.

Then I figured, Since the RT CPU is isolated I might be able to use the
nvidia driver after all. The machine has a 6600GT in it after all and
it'd be nice to use it. I couldn't use the standard driver that ships
with ubuntu because the modules weren't compiled for the rtai kernel but
the latest driver from the nvidia website worked fine.

End result, without glxgears running jitter was about 1800 and with it
running it was about 2400. The only major thing I have noticed is if I
*start* glxgears while the latency-test is running it causes a ~40k
latency spike.
My feeling is this shouldn't really be a problem as once axis is running
there don't appear to be any unusual spikes or anything like that.

The packages for EMC itself with the SMP kernel are a little out dated
(2.3.0) but recompiling those isn't such a big deal.

My final results are up in the wiki as well
*Max Interval (1.0 ms thread) *993562
*Max Jitter(ns) 1.0 ms thread *6471*
Max Interval (25 us thread) *27011*
Max Jitter (25 us thread) *2458
These are the result of about an hour long run of latency-test while
downloading and installing other software with glxgears running (and
putting out about 8000FPS ;->)

Thanks to the people on #emc for help with the setup.

All that remains is to start cutting metal lol