Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> The three phase PWM generator does have high and low side drive and
> deadzone
> timers but a three phase drive is probably not a good beginner project :-)
>
> You can also count TTL encoder signals directly with the FPGA board.

Hm, some good memories come back. My CNC days started with a flat-bed
plotter with 400V 3 phase drives and resolvers for feedback.
Three 19" full height cabinets full of transistor boards - Real
transistor Transistor Logic :-) to do the math for circular and
parabolic arcs.

I was thinking along the same lines (create my own H-bridge) - I can get
some cheap servos but did not want to spend too much money on a driver
just to test if I will buy more to replace the steppers in my current
mill and the new one;
> But...
>
>       I think Rays suggestion of using a parallel port (or multiple ports)
> is a better starting point. If you use the bare FPGA card signals to drive a
> home-made HBridge, you risk damaging the expensive FPGA card instead of a
> $15.00 parallel port card.

The magic word is Optocouplers. All the signals from my 5i20 cards run
through opto's.
Even the 10V signal for the VFD is opto-coupled and also all limit and
home switches. As long as you can cope with a switching time of 10 us a
cheap 4N35 opto is great. For less than 50 cents per channel I am not
going to risk my fpga board or any other part of the PC.

Some weeks ago I had a problem with a short circuit in the VFD (Toshiba
VF S-11) resulting in a flash and a loud bang from the inners from the
VFD - luckily all PC parts are still OK :-)

Rob