> My suggestion is to just replace the pinion as most of the wear is
> there.  At some point it maybe necessary to replace the rack as
> well.
> Of course if the amount of  engagement is adjustable there may
> well be a
> lot more service gotten out of the pinions as well.
>

>                                          Doug

Doug, this has been my MO for a couple years now but the Rack finally wore
to the point of point loading the pinions so I said enough..  I've got
replacement
Rack already in the shop so I'll use it but I won't be installing it again..
next time it
wears out I'll have the parts here to upgrade to ballscrews. Over time the
increased
roughness of movement destroys the ability to get a decent surface finish so,
I'm
confident that the upgrade to ballscrews will significantly improve this over
the long run.

Not to mention stepping up the o/a accuracy of the machine.

Btw, the pinons are pressure loaded into the rack using a gas shock. It's just
enough
load to overcome the max seperation pressure created by the rack [to seperate
the pinon
from the rack] This take into account wear and any possible miss alignment etc
of the rack.

It's not optimum but has worked thus far.. The ballscrew is a good upgrade for
me.. can't wait
to get it done :)

J. Johnson