Andy Pugh wrote:
> 2009/9/6 Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net>:
>

>> Is thinner oil the answer?
>>

> Paraffin is commonly used, I believe.
> (Google)
> You might call it Kerosene.

Early on as a machinist we cut all aluminum with kerosene or parafin.
When you are cutting at the slower speeds used  back then it was good
stuff.   We were  always fairly careful not to boil it from the heat  of
the cutting as It is explosive in a fine mist or steam like vapor.  The
worst of it was I always smelled of kero. It goes into your skin and
hair and stays there for  severals days or more.  It is such a good
cutting fluid for aluminum that I consider coolant only a reasonable
substitute .   I made a set up to drill a center hole in round billets
for Reynolds aluminum co.  These billets were slugs to be extruded into
aluminum tubing thus the hole in the middle.  The material  was dead
soft and drills sucked their way right in.  If you dubbed the points of
the drills aluminum packed around the drills even when flooded with
cutting fluids and we tried many.  We moved the operation into another
building because of the smell.  Between the stink of aluminum cutting
and the smell of oil kero fumes the neighbors complained about the
stink.  One world war one veteran  claimed it smelled like the
battlefield of Verdun with rotting bodies and that it made him sick.  I
have not noticed that smell in modern aluminum.  The harder the metal is
the better I like it for machining.  I say this only for aluminum.

                                                            Doug