Steve Blackmore wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 00:46:54 -0400, you wrote:
>

>> Steve should set up halscope as others have instructed.  Capture
>> position, velocity, and position-interpolated.  Trigger on a falling
>> edge of index-enable, so that the scope will take data at the beginning
>> of a threading pass.  Sample at the servo rate.  You should be able to
>> get 4000 samples, which is 4 seconds at the usual servo rate of 1mS.
>>

> Here you go, three different shots taken during a G33 pass at 200 rpm,
> 1.5mm pitch thread.
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/db4r1Dnh.html
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/XY9gDJ.html
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/lUA3lv.html

The fuzzy band of encoder.0.velocity doesn't look unusal, but those big
spikes are
a cause for concern.  Some of them are at least 3 times the width of the
band.  I can't tell where
the zero is for that trace, so I don't know what the actual values are.
I do notice (with some
surprise) that these spikes don't seem to have a visible effect on the
position reading.

In screenshot3, you can see the individual quantization of the velocity,
and there, the spikes
look quite anomalous.  The big spike to the right looks to be at least
10 quanta high, probably
more.  That just shouldn't happen with a properly functioning encoder
and regular sampling.
A variation of +/- 2 encoder counts is required by the nature of
sampling, and add another
one or two for the vagaries of optical encoders.  Any more than that
says something is
wrong.

Jon