Yet another situation where more is less..  ;-)

In a more perfect world I guess it might be best if everyone was running
1024 ppr encoders on their spindles and threading at 1000+ rpm and using
a hardware interface.

Ironically if you want to thread on a really large lathe and need to run
at 60 RPM to do so, the position interpolated functionality would really
be required.

Don't laugh at the 60 rpm, I am helping a guy on a big lathe CNC lathe
that can run much slower, I think 9 rpm is the lower limit on the spindle.

Crazy slow.  :-)

Dave