John,

The pins motion.spindle-forward and motion.spindle-reverse should be
correct. Is motion.enable true? Did you give the "S" parameter a non-zero
value?

As for Axis, I cannot be much help there, as I mostly don't use it except
for testing.

Regards,
Eric

I have two more questions

Do have any idea which soft pin link to M3 and M4 for spindle rotation. I
currently have aVFD set up to recive inputs for cw and ccw rotation.  I see
there are two types of soft pins (Halui and Motion) and I tried both with no
success.These are the signals I have tried
"net halui.spindle.runs-forward => hm2-5i23.0.gpio.042.out"
and
"net motion.spindle-forward=>hm2-5i23.o.gpio.042.out"
 I have also looked for parameters for these soft pins. :-)

My second question is how do you show the spindle control on the AXIS
controller menu. I am using the standard HOSTMOT2 config.