Chris Epicier wrote:

>Thanks for the hint. Currently getting 6.06 and 7.10 iso's to burn and test. I
>did already run a test using 8.04 alternative installl w/o success so far. So
>I guess, my quest seems to be to find the right ubuntu version prior or euqal
>to 8.04 to start off with.

You might try going the other way instead - get stock 9.04 or 9.10, and
then install some of the experimental EMC2 packages from
<http://www.linuxcnc.org/experimental>.

They aren't well organized, but if you look in the Karmic directory
there, you'll see kernels and EMC2 packages for 9.10.

Note the word "experimental" in the URL ;)

- Steve