On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 05:24:06PM -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

> Oh NOOoooooo!  Every time I learn something really arcane in Linux, they
> CHANGE the damn thing!
> I know a whole bunch of tricks with GRUB that have been very helpful in
> booting a new install when the install set it up a little bit wrong and
> it wouldn't boot the first time.

Should be a law against it. However, it should be possible to install
the old grub over the newfangled thingy, using grub-install [1]. That at
least should provide time to become a late adopter.

At least in the case of "upstart", it still supports the /etc/rc?.d and
/etc/init.d directories. Legacy comaptibility is a boon for legacy
skillsets.

I'm on your side.

Erik

[1] Even if eventually it might be necessary to compile it, because
there's not a current package.

--
The universe contains any amount of horrible ways  to  be  woken  up,
such as the noise of the mob breaking down the front door, the scream