spring wrap brakes work very well
I have no links however

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roland Jollivet" <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:27
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] stepper motor lock mechanism?

Most motor brakes and clutches operate with electromagnet in the axial
direction, as discussed. Except you don't have the space...

If you mounted a largish, maybe 2x motor OD, lightweight plastic disc on the
rear, then you could use any old solenoid to make a brake that either
presses against the edge, like you would put your finger on a spinning wheel
to stop it, or to pinch the disc against a surface, like an automotive disc
brake.

Should be cheap to do...

Roland