Steve,
Reminiscent of PNP on another operating system huh? If it works
automagically it is great - if it doesn't work automagically it may never
work.
I have been working with Keytec for two weeks to get a serial magic touch
screen to work with 10.04. Keytec wrote a new driver because they only had
drivers for 64 bit system. The driver loaded and worked but the calibration
is not correct. Keytec's calibration routine does not yet work. I think
Keytec is working on it.
Will you post your xorg.conf file?
thanks
Stuart

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net> wrote:

> Managed to get my serial connected 3M touch screen working (sort of)
> with Ubuntu 10.04 after several days of cursing and restarts.
>
> It would appear that they tried to be clever and introduce support for
> netbooks and the like and dropped the old xorg.conf by default and
> recognize everything automatically, with pretty disastrous results.
>
> They have since "fixed" some of the problems that introduced,
> unfortunately only on updates from 10.04.1
>
> And they are messing with it again
> from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
>
> "Files ending in *.conf in the /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory
> (NOTE: will be changed to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d for 10.10) are
> automatically loaded by X at start prior to reading the xorg.conf"
>
> How I managed to get mine to work, I'm not wholly sure. My new xorg.conf
> bears no resemblance to my old one and I still have a problem on
> startup.
>
> On first startup, touch screen doesn't work. Logout and log on again and
> it does!
>
> Steve Blackmore
> --

dos centavos