<snip>

>> I used to work with some Siemens software that ran on Windows RTX and it
was very stable.  Chrysler has several transmission assembly lines that
are run via PCs.  The software is based on Siemens soft S7 PLC software
engine.  Siemens MMI software runs on the same
PC and hooks in the virtual PLC so it all runs on the same box.    The
PLC scan/loop time is in the 1 millisecond range which is fast enough
for general machine control.   For I/O the standard interface used to be
Profibus, but I think that the current versions also support Profinet
which is more or less Profibus over Ethernet. <<

And as an added bonus, it is vulnerable to the Stuxnet worm if WinCC is used as
the MMI. :) See for example:
http://www.debka.com/article/9050/

Regards,
Eric