I really appreciate all the input!  I have to say I had no idea how much
discussion this would generate.  It makes me wonder what the EMC user base uses
for homing, or perhaps makes me surprised that the EMC user base is just homing
inaccurately and warm and fuzzy in their ignorance.  I know I would have been.
But now I won't sleep at night :-)

-Tom