John,

I'll second Andy's recommendation of gmail, and try to address some of your
concerns. I am a recovering Unix geek. I worked in the tech industry during
the dot com boom. I am know longer in the tech business, but I am still a
geek at heart. I never dreamed I would switch from a real email client to a
web client, but when gmail came out I thought I would give it a try just to
see what all the buzz was about. I never intended to switch permanently, but
5 years later I have never gone back.

Like you, I have my own SMTP server, but that is not an issue with gmail.
Gmail can act as a pop3 email client, so it does not matter where your mail
was originally sent to, gmail can handle it. Alternately, you could set up
your mail server to invisibly forward all your mail to your gmail account,
and store a copy later that you can also download with
Thunderbird/Eudroa/Outlook/... which allows the usability of gmail while
still maintaining a local backup of all your email. That is what I did for
the first year or so, then eventually I just stopped saving the copies on my
server and trusted Google, but that may not be sufficient for you. There are
web backup services that support gamil, as well as at least one free utility
that automates storing a backup copy locally if you remain concerned.

As far as whether you can trust google with your data in the non-reliability
sense, well that is something you will have to decide for yourself. It is
good to know, though, that many corporations- even large ones- are switching
to gmail instead of outlook because it lowers the overhead for their IT
departments so dramatically.

Gmail's usability is FAR superior to any other webmail client I have ever
used, and I have tried several. Most are dreadful, but gmail is just as
usable as most traditional web clients. It does a few things differently
that takes some getting used to (mainly the use of Labels instead of Folders
to sort your email), but once you get used to it the Google way actually
makes perfect sense in most cases. And for many things-- such as searching--
gmail blows every other client away. I can find any search term in my 5GB
email box effectively instantly.

As Andy noted, you get a bit over 7GB of storage free (split between gmail,
Picasa, Blogger, etc), but you can add an additional 20GB of storage for
only $5/year if needed.

Mike