so - here is a video with it all coming together.  This is a short gcode
program that spots, drills, taps a hole.  At this time emc pauses motion
when the tool prep is happening - so I modified my ladder so it sends
the tool prepared bit instantly but the actual tool change is inhibited
until the ladder is done with the tool prep.  (if that made sense.)  The
program is short enough that for a few of the tools the tool change
sequence has to wait for the prep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39q6kvrSBSk

After this video was done we played with the spindle vfd and got the
acc/dec twice as fast.

sam