Thanks Peter,

> > Plus, I think that the logic should be implemented directly in the
> > electronics driving directly the motor, as the compensation strategy
> > should be fairly quick. Driving a variable intensity command from
EMC
> > will certainly limit the strategy to low rpm.
>

> I dont think so (unless you are considering high speed spindle
motors). For
> servo motors its not really a problem. For example with a 4 pole servo
motor
> (so 120 Hz for a reasonable 3600 RPM max speed) a 4 KHz servo loop
will keep
> the maximum electrical angle error < 10.8 degrees at 3600 RPM which
will keep
> torque ripple contributed by angular error issues less than 1.8%, and
much
> better at slower speeds, decreasing to ~0.2 percent at 1200 RPM

I think I'm following you until "angle error < 10.8" but I don't
understand the rest. Wouldn't it be sin(10.8*pi/180)= 0.187 approx 18%.

In any case I think you are right. It looks feasible even with a 18%.
I'll try to think in an implementation within emc.

> My guess is that magnetic irregularities and lack of good sine wave
drive are
> more likely culprits for your cogging issues.

I agree with you.

> > I've seen some guys trying to do such compensation dealing with this
> > when using linear motors, that I presume are very similar to PMSM.
> >
> > I suppose that this problem important to them probably because the
> > aforementioned lack of twisting, but also because it is a
Direct-Drive
> > application. That is, no reduction, and then low velocity.
> >
> > What do you think about this?:
> >
> > I've seen referred this torque ripple as "cogging", I can feel it
> > in my setup (www.imac.unavarra.es/~cnc) rotating the shaft by hand
my
> > motors switched off. I'm pretty sure that this is the main
responsable
> > of the vibrations I feel in the robot at low velocities. I'm using
an
> > almost direct driving.
>
> That is strange, all the (larger) PMSMs we have used have very near 0
cogging
> when no power is applied.

I made a check in a BLDC supposed to be cogging free, by a special
design, and i was certainly much lower than in mines, but I could feel
it.

> > Do you think that this is an indication that my stator is not
twisted?.

> > So I'm thinking about using pulleys to introduce some sort of
reduction,
> > but I'm not sure if this is going to lower the problem. I mean, for
> > frictionless reduction strategy, I would get a increase in rotor
> > velocity, but also a lower level of torque. I see a benefit as the
> > rippling frequency will be increased. But wouldn't worsen the ripple
> > torque ratio, and then introduce more problems?.
> >
> > I've been thinking about increasing the  bandwidth  of the PID (I'm
> > controlling intensity), hoping that the feedback can be able to
> > compensate the cogging, but may be then other sources of noise can
> > become more important.
>

> If your system has a high enough bandwidth, running the servo thread
faster
> will help. I've noticed that with our test bed dynamomter and 3 KW
PMSM, a 1
> KHz servo loop rate is too slow for good performance, 2 or 4 KHz
being
> noticebly better, allowing much larger P and D terms and
coorespondingly lower
> following errors.

This is a very interesting observation. I'll give it a try.

Thank you very much,

Javier