On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 20:58 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> pre-measuring all your tools and entering the
> length offsets in the tool table,
> so you don't have to touch off at each tool change.

Or you can add a tool length probe station and have tool length
measurement happen automagically, without interrupting the program.

You *definitely* need something far more rugged on a real milling
machine in an actual machine shop, but the switch itself need not be
more complex than a snap-action button:

http://softsolder.com/2010/12/06/improved-tool-length-probe-switch/

The stability and repeatability are surprisingly good:

http://softsolder.com/2010/12/07/improved-tool-length-probe-switch-repeatability/

http://softsolder.com/2011/01/15/improved-sherline-probe-length-switch-repeatability-selah/

When it comes time for a tool change, the G-Code does the G30 / Tx M6
dance and puts up a prompt. My ArmStrong tool changer swings into
action; it finishes by whacking the spacebar to continue. A subroutine
measures the new tool length, adjusts the offset, and the G-Code
continues with a properly adjusted tool.

That doesn't solve the "my tool broke and I can't jog manually" problem,
but for my simple needs it's *wonderful*: swapping tools is no longer a
major pain.

One gotcha: Axis will occasionally leave the machine in the G59.3
coordinate system (which has absolute machine coordinates) after I
interrupt the program, even if I interrupt it when G54 (which has the
tool & fixture offsets) should be active. This is most likely due to my
misunderstanding of how coordinate systems work, not an intrinsic flaw.

Highly recommended...

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com