On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Stuart Stevenson <stus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Przemek Klosowski <
> przemek.klosow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Mark <mpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > FYI - I sent Balazs an email several months ago asking if the source
> was
> > > available.  He replied that he wasn't able to release the source
> because
> > he
> > > had (or was applying for) patents.
> >
> > Interesting comment because the whole point of the patent system is to
> > release the information on inventions to the public, while protecting
> > the inventor's rights. I think it's yet another example of the patent
> > system not working as intended, and needing the reform
>
> or lack of understanding
>
> --
> dos centavos

If someone patented several variations of "metal cylinder to transmit power"
and you needed a driveshaft, you would be screwed. Same for a piston, roller
bearing, etc. Most of the software patents seem to be analogous to this.

It would be a moot point if we could convince WIPO et al that source code
should't be patentable (either because it's an algorithm, or because
software patents do more harm than good).  Unfortunately, there seems to be
a lot of money backing the opposing opinion.

I'm not terribly fond of patents in general; patents seem to be used as
weapons by large companies to scare off competition/innovation.  I wish
there was a use-it-or-lose-it provision in IP law - if you can't prove that
products on the market use your patent, and can't prove that you have R&D
expenses related to the patent, then you lose the right to enforce your
patent or to mention the patent in litigation.  Not a perfect solution, I'm
sure, but given some of the horror stories I've heard, I think it would be
an improvement.

$.02

Mark