Hi Guys..

I am considering using EMC2 (or part of it) in a mobile application that
defines the term "rugged".

The application itself is pretty simple so I am not worried about the
software.  I am worried about the survival of the hardware.

The equipment will be mounted in a box on a piece of drilling
equipment.   Power will be supplied via a diesel engine driving an
alternator into a set of batteries.

The drilling equipment is rotary - no impact - so the vibration should
be reasonable if I shock mount the control panel.  However the machine
will only be used once in a while.

This machine will live outside year around.    When it is not being
used, the machine will be un-powered so I have no way of putting a panel
heater in the box to keep out condensation.  I'm thinking about using
some type of desiccant system?? to keep the humidity down in the panels
to avoid a condensation problem.

I'm really not concerned about the higher range of temperatures since
there will be a roof over the control panel so I should be able to keep
the sun off it.  I am mostly concerned about the low end of the
temperature range.   They could be
using this drilling machine in temps as low as 20 degrees F or so.
They will expect to be able to start up the engine, run it for 5 minutes
or so and then flip on the controls and have them function properly.
This might be after the machine has been
sitting for a few months outside in places like the Rocky Mountains in
Colorado....

I'd like to use as many off the shelf devices as possible - PC boards
etc... if possible.

Being a typical customer, they want to keep the costs down but they also
want it to work and operate reliably.

I've had good luck using conventional industrial controls on machines
that operate outside, but I have always been able to include a panel
heater to minimize condensation issues.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Dave