On 7/22/2011 5:43 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 17.07.11 06:35, Dave wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience in testing for condensation issues?
>>
> When I finished off the development of the first automotive digital
> clock used by Ford here in Australia [1], certification testing included
> temperature, humidity, vibration, and dust testing.
>
> The humidity testing was done in a one cubic metre environmental
> chamber, with circulating fan, heating, cooling, water supply, and a
> humidity controller. The latter just requires both dry-bulb and wet-bulb
> thermometers to measure humidity. ISTR that we set the dry-bulb
> temperature for chamber temperature, then looked up the wet-bulb
> temperature required for the desired humidity, on a graph pasted to the
> side of the chamber. The whole thing was about the size of a
> refrigerator. The clock only had to work up to 95% RH, IIRC.
> There was a bung-hole on each side, with a screwcap, for admitting leads
> from test equipment.
>
> For the destructive temperature test, I built an insulated wooden box,
> and used a bank of electric jug heating elements, controlled by a cheap
> thermostat. The clocks' plastic front lenses distorted before the
> electronics failed. (50°C [122 °F] was the basic test, run for some
> months, but the clocks were then still fine after weeks at 80°C [176 °F])
>
> Dust testing just used cement dust. It is truly amazing how that stuff
> finds its way in when agitated by a fan.
>
> The automotive environment raises another relevant consideration;
> electrical ruggedisation. The clock had to withstand a "load dump" from
> the 12v alternator. If the load is suddenly removed, output jumps above
> 80v for hundreds of milliseconds. (Wikipedia has seen worse: "The peak
> voltage of this surge may be as high as 120 V and the surge may take up
> to 400 ms to decay.")
>
> Instead of individually protecting each electronic unit, I proposed and
> built a load-dump preventer, which clamped the whole 12v supply to 16v,
> absorbing the load-dump. That was however several dollars per car more
> expensive, so couldn't fly.
>
> External inputs can also be educational. During prototype testing in
> pre-production vehicles, it was found that "the clocks died the second
> time the car was started." Being an LED clock, the display was turned on
> only when the ignition switch "accessories" position was energised. Not
> surprisingly there were several accessories relay coils connected to
> that, but the magnitude of the back-EMF on switching them off was a
> surprise for an inexperienced engineer: about -800v, IIRC. Fortunately
> it was easy to protect against that.
>
> Erik
>
> [1] Back in '78

Interesting..  so did you have to make any design changes to meet the
95% RH requirements??

I agree, cement dust is really bad stuff...  I do some work around
concrete processing machinery sometimes and the dust just gets
everywhere.  After only one day with my laptop around a processing
machine..
I will be cleaning and re-cleaning the keyboard and screen many times
afterwards.   It also builds up on machinery and causes mechanical issues.

I wasn't aware of the load dump situation.    Fortunately my past mobile
work has used a 12 to 24 volt inverter to drive the control circuits,
otherwise that probably would have been an issue.

Dave