On Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:21:40 AM Steve Blackmore did opine:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:31:49 -0500, you wrote:
> >All,
> >
> >I have a dual boot computer configured with both Windows/Mach and
> >Linux/EMC2.4.6.  I ran Steve's code on both systems and the problem
> >that he describes is evident when running the code on EMC, but not on
> >Mach.
> >
> >To answer Jon's question:
> >>   Does it start out running well, but then the slowdown develops
> >>   later in the part program?
> >
> >No - The problem is apparent at the first G2 move.  The machine appears
> >to change feedrate between G2 and G1 moves.  Moving from one G2 line
> >to another G2 line is smooth, and moving  from one G1 line to another
> >G1 line is smooth.  G1 moves appear to run at around 60% of the
> >feedrate of the G2 moves, so the transition from G1 to G2 (or G2 to
> >G1) makes the machine seem erratic.  If I slow the feedrate down, the
> >problem persists.
> >
> >My test machine is a stepper machine - the change in feedrate is even
> >more noticeable because of the change in pitch at different motor
> >speeds.  I don't think that this is a processor power issue, as I can
> >reproduce it even after deleting all but the first 6 lines of motion
> >code (leaving the safety block).
>
> Hi Rogge
>
> Thanks for testing - Looks like you found it, it does appear to be some
> trajectory planner bug on transition from lines to curves/curves to
> lines.
>
> I tested the code on some mdf,  I'm glad it was only a test and not an
> expensive piece of wood, the cutter left burn marks on some of the
> slowdowns :(

Sounds like I should be careful then, as I made a vice to hold a gun stock
yesterday, and am about to do the grosser parts of carving the bedding
channel for a BP action.  These cuts will be 'out of sight' and generally
straight line in maple & a cherry forearm cap, but still...

> Steve Blackmore
> --

Cheers, gene
I am examining you on your fool ideas that no intelligent Christian
on earth believes.
                -- Clarence Darrow, to William Jennings Bryan