<snip>
> Rather than download/compile, you can install the precompiled package
> from the buildbot, which is probably easier:
> http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
>
> Do you have Hall sensors on the motors?

Andy, greetings

Thanks for the suggestion of Buildbot.

The motors do have Hall sensors. I thought that I would start "gently" with
trapezoidal drive, then close the position loop with the encoders and
finally see what happens to performance using sinusoidal. The encoder
resolution is so high (effectively 25,000 counts per rev) that it seems
there could be lots of traps.
The XY stage is obviously from some semiconductor fab. line, made by
Newport, very stiff mechanically. It must have been servo controlled
originally though I have no original electronics.

Finally a really dumb question. The 7i39 has SENSE A0/A1 and SENSE B0/B1
outputs to FPGA board and these signals are on Pins 4/5 of the encoder
interfaces. What are they for?

Best wishes

John Prentice