Don Stanley wrote:
> Hi Jon;
> Presently I am using the hollow R8 collets waiting for someone to
> develop a tool changer for the R8 machines before buying a pot full of
> the R8 end mill holders. My work has been mostly one of a kind so far
> but will soon switch to batch jobs and I will be forced to the end mill
> holders
> with or without a Tool Changer.
>
> Do you know of any R8 tool changers that cost less than a mill?
> Or maybe a good design that could be duplicated?

I'm sure, if I wanted to, I could make a tool changer that would work
with R-8.  But, it wouldn't
be really simple.  You'd probably
need some kind of standard ring to grip the holders with, and I'm not
clear on how those could
be easily attached to all the different holders.  What I'm envisioning
would end up looking a bit
like a miniaturized Cat V-flange holder.  You also need spindle orient
unless you take the
key out of the spindle.

There is the Tormach TTS scheme that might be adaptable to a tool
changer.  Maybe
magnetic rings could hold the holder while transferring it to the spindle.

Anyway, I found that without a changer, it makes MUCH more sense to
change the work,
and do all procedures on ALL workpieces before changing the tool.  That
may not work
as well for complex parts that require a lot of machining steps on each
piece, but it works
for the parts I do.

Jon