Andy,

I had the priviledge to learn home electrics at Muskegon High school in
1966 when I was an exchange student. I could have started a career as an
electrician right there but, even at my age of 17, I realized that there
must have been a lot more to electricity than what I had learned so far.
When I returned home to Germany, I finished school and studied physics.

I had been in science management since and always wondered how the US
could get by with an electrical power supply system like is has got and
like I have experienced in my days as an exchange student.

I admire the people that get by producing things and making a living of
it in the US. If I had told my electric engineers (as long as I was
their facility manager, more than 30 years) how power distribution
happens in America they would have pointed to their heads. Nobody over
here can imagine what a mess is powering the greatest industry nation of
the world.

Don't speak of wire nuts or other compromises (I can't find gimcracks in
my dictionary), it's all . Electrical power supply is a big mess in the
US and as long as there is no central legislation it will probably stay
that way. You may tell me a lot about different systems in Europe, but
at least they are compatible and if you plug in a device purchased from
anywhere in Europe you can be sure that it will comply with the supply
net at your home location. America has neglected a big chance there to
keep up with the rest of the world and will be handicapped if this pertains.

Peter Blodow