Peter Blodow wrote:

> Don't speak of wire nuts or other compromises (I can't find gimcracks in
> my dictionary), it's all . Electrical power supply is a big mess in the
> US and as long as there is no central legislation it will probably stay
> that way. You may tell me a lot about different systems in Europe, but
> at least they are compatible and if you plug in a device purchased from
> anywhere in Europe you can be sure that it will comply with the supply
> net at your home location. America has neglected a big chance there to
> keep up with the rest of the world and will be handicapped if this pertains.

Well, maybe your knowledge of what goes on here dates to 1966, or what
you were told at that
time.  The NATIONAL electrical code is followed pretty much everywhere
in the US.
There are some places that put additional limitations on some things,
but mostly in all
municipalities the NEC book is the rule.  The body that produces the NEC
is not a legislative
authority, but it is about as close to law as anything we have here.

Yes, indeed, we are "different" and incompatible with Europe and much of
the rest of
the world.  Strangely, we are compatible with much of Japan.  Although,
they have
two different frequencies there, 50 Hz and 60 Hz.  That must be really
confusing!

Certainly, we have one standard wall outlet for 120 V home appliances,
and it works
across the whole US and Canada, as far as I know.  We also have pretty much
standard outlets for stoves and  clothes dryers.  None of this stuff
varies by location.
One residential change has been to mandate a safety ground on the
clothes dryer
separate from the neutral.  The 240 V clothes dryers from years ago had
3-prong
plugs, and ran the 120 V dryer motor between one hot and the safety ground,
with no neutral prong.  Otherwise, there are new regs for ground fault
interrupters
in kitchens and bathrooms, and now arc-detection interrupters in certain
locations,
but in new construction only.

But, you imply that we have regional variations in the regulations, and
I am quite sure
that is not the case here.  There may be more strict enforcement in some
municipalities,
and less strict in the country.  But, there is only one "rule book".

Jon