put a sharpie in the spindle.

--- On Sat, 10/22/11, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Laser diode for engraving
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2011, 11:29 AM

2011/10/22 Roland Jollivet <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>:

> Have a look at sites where guys are using the laser from a DVD (notCD)
> burner. By upping the voltage, it looks like you can cut thin plastic sheet.
> And you should be able to get a few for free!

Thanks! Actually that was the first thing I considered. Lasers from
blu-ray writers would be even better, but then I would need to make
enclosure, tweak power supply to limit max current and in the end the
output power would be around 300mW, which would mean very slow work.
Yes, that would be very cost-effective, but I suspect that my client
would not be satisfied with the performance - I already told not to
expect anything close to "normal" laser engravers, but I think that
that would be too slow.

Viesturs