On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 18:26 -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> I'd like to engrave some circuit boards, but I'll need to get or make a
> spindle for the project. I would like to be able to have a tool changer,
> but I don't recall any tool holders that are appropriate for small high
> speed spindles. Any suggestions?
>
> Part of my plan is to cut a pocket into one of my junk NMTB 40 holders
> to mount a small motor (outrunner? but not LRK) with spindle grade
> bearings and the appropriate tool holder taper and retainer, making it a
> live tool holder. Has anyone seen anything like this? I suppose a draw
> bar is going to be a problem.

I suppose engraving is not accurate for what I want. It's probably more
accurate to say I want to route and drill PC boards, plus general high
speed milling, routing and engraving, so more of a small all around
spindle. It's looking like ISO-10 or ISO-20 might do it.

Also to clarify, the small spindle and the current NMTB 40 spindle have
to be on the same axis, otherwise, for example, with the small spindle
offset on an arm, the small rotary slop in the main spindle will produce
slop in the X-Y plane.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html