On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Chris Reynolds
<c_reynolds2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So I've been running my mini-mill with EMC2 now for almost 2 years, and I've
> gotten to where I'm interested in having the spindle controlled by EMC2, as
> well as possibly a tool changer. So I started reading the wiki about spindle
> control, and I've been reading through the HAL manual, and quite honestly I
> feel dumb.
>

> There are so many things that I don't get, like do I need to ditch the motor
> controller that's in the mini-mill and replace it with an H-Bridge? Or do I
> somehow tie EMC2 into the existing motor controller circuit board?

It's just that it depends what you mean. You say you want EMC to
control your spindle, but do you want to control the speed? or really
control the spindle position in relation to other pieces of your mill,
as needed for rigid tapping?

In any case, you have to figure out a way for the computer to talk to
your spindle, and the details depend on the particular spindle drive
setup, of which there are million.

So, what is your spindle drive, and what do you want to accomplish?