I've seen cement as the pilars of a big Tricept type parallel machine.
They use  special type of concret with epoxi or similar aditives.

I've heard of similar termal expansion coefficientes for steel an concret, and
of the good vibration absorbing properties of concret. I think that
the aditives,
can help both on the tensile strength and on the vibration disipation part  too.

Just my two cents,

Javier