2011/11/25 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:

> The question to answer it not which distro _you_ prefer, but which
> will be best for the project, and best for new users.
>

>From my experience - those people, who are unfamiliar with EMC, are
unfamiliar with Linux. The fact that EMC is running on Ubuntu has
helped to convince those people I have dealt with that it is worth
trying it, because it is working out-of-box. Hobby users have time to
spend on compiling the software and do other things. My customers can
be considered as industrial users and they like the fact that no
special linux knowledge is required to run EMC.
A simple system can be set up within hours, completely restored on
different PC hardware within 1 hour - just reinstall OS and copy
config files. If additional installation of customized kinematics
module or some realtime component is required, it adds just a few
minutes to overall time.

I would like to add my vote for Ubuntu + light GUI like LXDE.

Viesturs