Sorry 'bout that. :

I am one of those "new" users and while I find all this discussion
interesting and informative I have been quite pleased with EMC2 up to
this point. While I'm eager to learn more about Linux I have neither the
knowledge or the time to do much tinkering with its innards so I'm
grateful to those who have  done all the hard work of making it
functional and easy to use for folks like me. I've been lucky so far that
Ubuntu has installed without hassle on all of the 4 or 5
machines I've used it on (all but the first of those installations has
been from the EMC2 live CD).  So, whatever distribution is used in the
future is OK with me as long as it "just works" and will install on the
older, used machilnes I prefer (because I can get them for free :) ).