On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Moses McKnight <mo...@texband.net> wrote:

>   And of course Debian is what Ubuntu is based on but it tends to be
> more stable.  It has not historically had as good hardware and media
> format support out of the box as Ubuntu partly due to a more strict
> adherence to an open-source-only policy.  That may have changed a little
> now, but I don't know since I haven't used it much for a while.
>
> Moses
>
> When I got tired of Fedora's desire to only ship broken, untested software
a couple of years ago, I tried Debian.  The installer was a nightmare that
reminded me of the old 10 floppy install days.   I don't know if they have
changed that or not, but if they haven't, it's a complete non-starter.

The liveCD effort was only peripherally official for the longest time,
anyone that feels strongly about this issue can make their own livecd and I
suspect we can find a place to host it.  If the idea is that the current
system is broken and the people that maintain it should use something else,
i.e., someone else should do something, that is an entirely different
matter and a fairly weak argument.  The first step is to find out how hard
it is to make an installer disk with custom kernels and software packages.
Eric