On Dec 13, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> The more massive the load, the better, I guess. The worst case is a
> low-inertia  motor sitting on the bench.

Yes, this is an important point - that we have learned the hard way.   We were
about to throw in the towel trying to tune our machine.  We have some fairly
torquey (I can't believe that is actually a word:-) ) motors given the mass of
the machine.  We finally got a little education on servos and ended up changing
our gearing from 2:1 to 5:1 (and using an initial 10:1 gearbox attached to the
motor).  This made ALL the difference in the world.  The machine runs smooth as
silk now as there is a constant load on the motor to overcome the 10:1 gearing.

Tom