On Dec 13, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, Tom Easterday wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:45:41 -0500
>> From: Tom Easterday <tom-...@bgp.nu>
>> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Encoders
>>
>> Thanks for the info Jon.  We are seeing a small (about 0.001) position error
>> just on initial acceleration and deceleration that we cannot account for.
>> It may be due to the encoder.  Since this is mainly a plasma machine we will
>> probably live with it.  If we need to do better we'll look at replacing the
>> encoders.  We now know the string attached to our cheap encoder :-) -Tom
>>

> Have you tried using FF2 to tune out the lag/lead during accel/decel?

Yes.  Peter (working with me) spent a long time playing with FF2.  We were
seeing large spikes at first and had FF2 set to 0.007 which helped to lower it
to .002-.003.  We then realized we had the Granite Devices input filtering
(which introduces a delay and is documented as doing so) turned on.  Turning
that off has allowed us to lower FF2 to 0.000105, not zero but getting there.
The remainder of the delay is now (possibly) coming from the encoder issue Jon
has pointed out.

> (a jerk limited profile would also help)

What'd you call me?  :-)

What is a jerk limited profile?

-Tom