Tom Easterday wrote:
> Thanks for the info Jon.  We are seeing a small (about 0.001) position error
> just on initial acceleration and deceleration that we cannot account for.  It
> may be due to the encoder.  Since this is mainly a plasma machine we will
> probably live with it.  If we need to do better we'll look at replacing the
> encoders.  We now know the string attached to our cheap encoder
If you can send me a picture form Halscope, I can compare it to what I
get.  Are you using FF2?
This can be quite helpful in fixing errors on acceleration.  You have to
use it in VERY small
amounts, though, like .005 or even less.  It is easy to add too MUCH FF2
and cause jerks
in the response.  Also, there is a manufacturing issue in these, where
the encoder ring may
fit loosely on the splined hub that mounts to the shaft.  On some units
you need to put a
little dab of RTV, super glue or whatever on the splined hub to lock the
ring to it.  You
can poke the ring with an X-acto knife to see if there is any play
between it and the hub
when the whole thing is assembled.

Jon