On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, andy pugh wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:32:18 +0000
> From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Surface-Mount
>
> I have some surface-mount opto-sensors which have pads on the
> underside, but no pins as such.
> Can anyone suggest how to solder them to PCB pads? I currently have a
> soldering iron, blowtorch, gas cooker and a hairdryer, though I am not
> averse to buying other tools.
>
> --
> atp
> The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply,
> wrong.

A hair dryer is close but a little too cool. A hot air gun (the type used with
heat-shrink tubing) will work.

You will also want some solder paste, although it is also do-able by pre
soldering the pads.

With the solder paste, you apply the paste to the pads (no more than 5-10
mills thick over entire pad or equvalent blob in middle) Carefully hand place
the part and heat from behind with the hot air gun.  This take practice to not
scorch the back of the card so a few practice runs soldering cheap parts is in
order. You can see when the solder melts so just heat a little bit past this
point.

You can also do this without solder paste by pre-soldering the PCB pads.
applying a lot of liquid flux and heating from behind. The disadvantage of
this is that the bubbling flux will likely lift and displace the part so you
need to build a "fence' around the part either with scrap PCB material or wire
this fence needs maybe 5 -10 mills clearance around the part to allow the part
to center by surface tension, and not interfere with the part pulling down to
the board hen the solder melts.

If you want to do more of this tha a few protos a hot-air rework station is in
order, But we do BGA protos all the time this way with great success.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)