andy pugh wrote:
> I have some surface-mount opto-sensors which have pads on the
> underside, but no pins as such.
> Can anyone suggest how to solder them to PCB pads? I currently have a
> soldering iron, blowtorch, gas cooker and a hairdryer, though I am not
> averse to buying other tools.

Hmmm, tricky.  You need to look up the manufacturer's info on reflow
soldering
temperatures, first.  That gives you some guidelines on what the part
can take.

If the PCB pads are big and stick out well past the part outline, you
can make sure
all pads (both component and PCB) are well tinned, and then hold the part n
place with tweezers as you heat the exposed pads with the soldering iron.

If the pads are completely covered by the part, you have a real dilemma!
About the only way to solder these are IR reflow or hot air.  A hair dryer
doesn't get hot enough, a heat gun is probably too much for sensitive parts.
There are hot air rework stations that are designed to do this.  They have
a heating element that is controlled to a reasonable temperature and an air
supply that blows over the heater.

Jon